August 30, 2010 | PSwinson
- “No other thing do I know, O monks, on account of which unarisen ill will does not arise and arisen ill will is abandoned so much as on account of this: the liberation of the heart by loving-kindness. For one who attends properly to the liberation of the heart by loving-kindness, unarisen ill will does not arise and arisen ill will is abandoned.” Anguttara Nikaya XI.16
- Wonderfully simple, metta or loving kindness meditation removes ill will and allows the spirit of love to infuse our whole being. How does it work? Hard Buddhist logic shows that upon closer examination, it does not make sense to wish ill toward any living thing. In fact, we are the ones who would benefit the most if the difficult people in our lives found serenity, health, and enlightenment.
- Further, metta meditation strengthens the compassion and happiness centers of the brain with amazing results. It develops resilience, compassion, empathetic joy, equanimity, patience, and of course loving kindness. Metta bring more harmony into our relationships, so that we have fewer conflicts and resolve existing ones. It deepens our connections with ourselves and those we love. It helps us to overcome depression, anger, resentment, and hurt. It also helps us to empathize more, and to be more considerate, kind, and forgiving.
- It helps us to appreciate others more, concentrating more on their positive qualities and less on their faults. It makes us more patient. It eliminates bad moods and ill will. It makes us sleep, dream, and wake up happy. It even makes us loved by dogs, people, and all sentient beings! According to texts, it guards from evil, fire, poison, and weapons and gives a serenity that lasts even to death, itself. And I almost forgot. It improves your complexion.
- Scientists are in agreement. Studies show loving kindness meditation reduces anxiety, reduces physical and emotional pain, reduces anger, reduces psychological stress, increases feelings of hope, produces more positive, and more lasting, positive emotions, and increases positive social emotions toward new people as well as loved ones. Not bad for a simple meditation!